Competency #4 – Managing Appointments

Your physician has been asked to speak at a national conference. Four patients will need to be rescheduled due to the physician’s unexpected absence from the office.

The assignment has three parts to create a conversation between staff (you) and patient (other students):

Part 1 – Write out the message you would say to the patient when you call him or her to reschedule.

Part 2 – Reply as a patient (to another student’s posting). Reply to at least two other student’s messages. Use different replies.

Part 3 – Reply to your patient’s reply and confirm the appoint.  Then reply as a patient to the other students posting your replyied to in Part 2.

Example:(don’t use my words)

Part 1. (you) Staff: Mrs. Jones (student), this is Dallas (your name) and I am calling from Dr Smith office and she has been called away from the office unexpectedly and will need to reschedule your appointment. Our next appointment available is May 25th at 2 p.m. Would that work for you or is there another date that would be convenient?

Part 2.(another students) Patient: 2 p.m. does not work for me do you have something earlier May 26th?

Part 3.(you)Staff: Yes, Mrs. Jones, we have a 9 a.m. open would that work?

(another student) Patient: Yes, that will work.

(you) Staff: Thank you Mrs. Jones, your appointment has been changed to May 26th at 9 a.m.

80 Responses to Competency #4 – Managing Appointments

1. lydavis2 says:

Good Morning Mrs. Mitchell, this is Latisha Davis Medical Assistant for Dr. Webb’s office. How are you today? Well the nature of my call today is because Dr.Webb had to be called away from the office today and we will have to reschedule your appointment for today. The next appointment will be Nov.21 at 1 p.m. Would that work or would you need another date and time that is more convenient for you?
    Part 2 Patient: Well Nov.21 at 1 is not a good time for me because I have another appointment this day. Do you have anything sooner and in the morning?
    Part 3 Staff: Just one second Mrs. Mitchell I will check that for you, would you mind holding for a moment?
    Part 4 Patient: Yes I will hold.
    Part 5 Staff: Okay, Mrs. Mitchell how does Nov 19th at 10 a.m. sound, Will this work?
    Part 6 Patient:Yes, that works fine.
    Part 7 Staff: Thank you very much Mrs. Mitchell we have you scheduled for Nov.19th at 10 a.m. and thank you for your patience,so sorry for the inconvenience and have a wonderful day.

2. ssledgett says:

Good morning, Mr. Smith. This is Sarah from Dr. Doe’s office. I am calling today because Dr. Doe has been called away from the office suddenly and we will need to reschedule your appointment from the 31st of November to December. Our next available appointment is the 3rd of December at 4:30pm. Would this day be suitable for you?

3. knwilson2 says:

Hello Ms. Wilson, I’m calling in regards to your appointment that was schedule for December 15th at 10:00 am. Unfortunately the doctor will not be available for that day now so we need to reschedule you for a new appointment. The next availability is December 17th a Wednesday at 11am. Does that work for you?

4. lydavis2 says:

Good Morning Mrs. Mitchell, this is Latisha Davis Medical Assistant for Dr. Webb’s office. How are you today? Well the nature of my call today is because Dr.Webb had to be called away from the office and we will have to reschedule your appointment for today. The next appointment will be Nov.21 at 1 p.m. Would this time work for you?

• ssledgett says:

The 21st doesn’t work for me. I can’t believe this is happening. I’ve had the appointment scheduled for weeks and now it’s changing. I took specific time out of that day for this appointment and can’t even reschedule it until almost 2 weeks after that!

• cskapatak says:

Why did he get called away? I really needed this appointment that day and now I have to wait longer? Do you have anything earlier? If not I guess it’s fine, but can you put me on the waiting list for earlier days?

• lydavis2 says:

He was called away due to an emergency situation and I assure you he will be attentive to your visit and give you the best quality care when he returns. We did have an early cancellation and it will be for the 8th of Nov. at 10:00 am. will this work? I will also be glad to put you down for earlier appointments.

• scburton says:

The 21st will not work for me, I have a meeting at that time. I can come in on the 23rd, any time will work.

5. lydavis2 says:

Mrs. Mitchell I want to truly apologize for the inconvenience and I understand your frustration. I did have a cancellation for the 8th of Nov. at 9:30 will this work for you?

• ssledgett says:

I guess that’ll have to work since I can’t do anything about it until then anyways.

• lydavis2 says:

Once again Mrs. Mitchell I truly apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and I have you scheduled for November 8th at 9:30 a.m. we will see you then and if anything changes feel free to call us back. Have a wonderful day.

6. Mishaela Mckay says:

Hello Mr. Campbell, this is Mishaela from Dr. Laurence’s office at the Family Practice Medical building. There has been an unexpected event that has come up and Dr. Laurence will not be in the office for the week your appointment is scheduled. I apologize for any inconvenience, but we can certainly reschedule you for the following week. How will Monday the 12th at 11:30 am work for you? Please let me know if there is a different day and time that is more convenient for you.

• cskapatak says:

That will not work for me. I originally had my appointment on the days I don’t work. Can you see if late Thursday or anytime on Friday would work?

• Mishaela Mckay says:

My apologies Mr. Campbell, let me just take a look at the upcoming schedule and see if there is anything on Thursday or Friday this week. We actually have a appointment available on the 16th, which is a Friday evening at 3pm. Will this work out better for you?

7. cskapatak says:

“Good morning Mrs. Doe, this is Charity the Medical Assistant at Dr. Blue’s office. I’m calling to let you know that Dr. Blue will not be able to keep his appointment’s today, he got called away and won’t be available until next week. Can I reschedule you for the next available appointment which is on Monday, December 12 @ 11am?”

• Mishaela Mckay says:

Hi Charity. Actually, Monday isn’t going to work with my schedule this week, but anytime on Tuesday will be fine. I do prefer mornings. What’s the earliest I can get in?

8. cskapatak says:

Good afternoon Mrs. Ethel Burke, this is Charity the Medical Assistant at Dr. Wright’s Family Practice. Sorry for the short notice, but Dr. Wright has been called away and won’t be available to see you this week. Can I reschedule your appointment for the next available appointment which is Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 9am?

Good afternoon Mr. Kris Hardee, this is Charity the Medical Assistant at Dr. Wright’s Family Practice. Sorry for the short notice, but Dr. Wright has been called away and won’t be available to see you this week. Can I reschedule your appointment for the next available appointment which is Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 10am?

Good afternoon Ms. Shelley Minton, this is Charity the Medical Assistant at Dr. Wright’s Family Practice. Sorry for the short notice, but Dr. Wright has been called away and won’t be available to see you this week. Can I reschedule your appointment for the next available appointment which is Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11am?

Good afternoon Mr. Marcus Plan, this is Charity the Medical Assistant at Dr. Wright’s Family Practice. Sorry for the short notice, but Dr. Wright has been called away and won’t be available to see you this week. Can I reschedule your appointment for the next available appointment which is Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 11:30am?

• Desiree says:

Mrs Ethel Burke: Oh ok, well thank you for the call. I can do 9 am just fine.

Mr Kris Hardee: Oh I see… Well that is a bit inconvenient, but alright, I will move some things around and 10 am should work out ok for me.

Ms Shelley Minton: Hello Charity, I think that 11 am on January 28 should work out ok for me, we will see you then!

Mr Marcus Plan: Hello…. Oh I see, well I suppose it just can’t be helped can it… Ok 11:30 am it is!

9. Desiree says:

Hello Ms. Burke, How are you this morning? This is Desiree calling with Dr. Wrights office. I have some unfortunate news, it seems Dr,.Wright is going to be out of the office during your appointment and we will need to reschedule. Our next available appointment is going to be on January 26, 2014 at 9:45 am, Again I apologize for the inconvenience, but will that date work for you Ms. Burke?

Hello Mr. Hardee, this is Desiree calling for Dr. Wrights office. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, but it seems Dr. Wright is going to be out of the office during the time your appointment was scheduled for. Our next available appointment is January 26, 2014 at 11:45 am, will that be alright for you?

Hello Ms. Minton, this is Desiree Calling for Dr. Wrights office, and I regret to inform you that Dr. Wright will be out of the office during the time your appointment was scheduled. Our next available appointment will be at January 28, 2014 at 10:00 am. Will it be possible for me to schedule you at that time?

Hello Mr. Plan, this is Desiree calling with Dr. Wrights office. How are you this morning? I have the unfortunate duty of informing you that Dr. Wright will be out of the office during your appointment, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Our next available appointment is January 28, 2014 at 4:00 pm, will that work out for you?

10. iflowers says:

Good Morning Mrs. Hardee,
    This is Ione calling from Dr. Wrights office. I’m calling to let you know that we are going to have to reschedule your appointment for you due to the Dr. being called on an unexpected event. The soonest available appointment I have for you is May 24th at 12 PM. Does this date and time sound like something your schedule will allow us to make your appointment for?

11. rlpomeranz says:

Good Morning Mr. Mitchell. This is Rachel from Dr. Millers office. How are you doing today? I am calling today because something has come up and Dr. Miller will not be in this week for your appointment. I apologize for any inconvenience and would like reschedule you for the following week. We have next Wednesday at 12pm available if that works for you? If this day does not work please let me know and we can schedule for another day that works best for you.

12. Amber Washington says:

Hello, may I speak with Mrs. Burke please, (yes, this is her). How are you this morning Mrs. Burke? This is Amber Washington calling from Dr. Wrights office. I apologize for the inconvenience, but Dr. Wright will be out of the office on the day of your appointment and we are going to have to reschedule. Does January 24th, 2014 at 12:00PM work for you? The 24th falls on a Friday.

Hello, may I speak with Mrs. Hardee please, (yes, this is her). How are you this morning Mrs. Hardee? This is Amber Washington calling from Dr. Wrights office. I apologize for the inconvenience, but Dr. Wright will be out of the office on the day of your appointment and we are going to have to reschedule. Does January 24th, 2014 at 1:00PM work for you? The 24th falls on a Friday.

Hello, may I speak with Mrs. Minton please, (yes, this is her). How are you this morning Mrs. Minton? This is Amber Washington calling from Dr. Wrights office. I apologize for the inconvenience, but Dr. Wright will be out of the office on the day of your appointment and we are going to have to reschedule. Does January 24th, 2014 at 2:00PM work for you? The 24th falls on a Friday.

Hello, may I speak with Mr. Plan please, (yes, this is him speaking). How are you this morning Mr. Plan? This is Amber Washington calling from Dr. Wrights office. I apologize for the inconvenience, but Dr. Wright will be out of the office on the day of your appointment and we are going to have to reschedule. Does January 24th, 2014 at 3:00PM work for you? The 24th falls on a Friday.

13. mjgrimes says:

Hello, may I speak with Jim please? Good afternoon Mr. Mitchell; this is Misty with the Eye Clinic. I apologize for any inconvenience, but due to an emergency Dr. Who has been called out of the office. I’m calling today in hopes we can reschedule your appointment on the 15 of October to a later date? We can get you scheduled for the 2nd of November at 10:30 am if this will work for you?

14. cllarsen3 says:

Hello may I speak to Ms. Meyer? This is Cheryl calling from Dr. Adams office, sorry for the inconvenience but Dr. Adams had an emergency and I will have to reschedule your appointment, will Friday, Dec. 3rd at 2 p.m. work for you?

15. Renee Campiglia says:

Good Morning Mrs. Hardee, this is Renee from Doctor Smith’s office. I am calling on behalf of Dr. Smith to reschedule your appointment. Dr. Smith was called away on a last minute business trip this week. Can we reschedule your New Patient Consultation for Monday, January 25th at 1 pm? Would that day work for you?

16. jjensen13 says:

Good morning Mrs. Jones my name is Jodie and I am calling from Dr. Zing’s office to let you know he has been called to an emergency. I will need to reschedule your appointment for another date as the doctor may not return today. The next opening I have in the schedule is for Thursday, December 18th at 10am, is this a convenient time and date for you?

17. scburton says:

Mrs. Burke, Good Morning, this is Stephanie and I am calling from Dr. Smith’s office and he has asked me to please reschedule your appointment, as he had an out-of-town conflict arise. He would like to see you as soon as he arrives back into town. Would you be available on Friday, January 24, 2015 at 12:00 (noon) to come in for an appointment with him? If you could please return this call at your earliest convenience, we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you, and please ask for me.

• scburton says:

Yes, Hello Mrs. Burke, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience. I am so glad that Friday, January 24th at noon will work for you. We will see you then. Have a wonderful day.

• Annie Ngo says:

Hello Stephanie, I’m afraid that time won’t work for me. Do you have anything available later in the afternoon? Thanks.

18. Annie Ngo says:

Hello,
    Good morning, Ms. Chilton. This is Annie from Dr. Sadler’s office and I’m calling to inform you that the doctor was unexpectedly called to a conference. As such, we will need to reschedule your appointment with him to another date. Are you free on Monday, January 5, 2015 at 3:00 PM? Give us a call back at the office to confirm or change it to another date. Thank you.

19. Jessica Sipho says:

Good Morning, this is Jessica Sipho from Dr. Wright’s office, may I speak with Ms. Ethel Burke please? Hello Mrs. Burke, I am calling in regard to your appointment scheduled on January the 22nd. Dr. Wright will unexpectedly be out of the office that day. I would like to reschedule you for January 24th at noon when he returns to the office.

Good Morning, this is Jessica Sipho from Dr. Wright’s office, may I speak with Mr. Kris Hardee please? Hello Mr. Hardee, I am calling in regard to your appointment scheduled on January the 22nd. Dr. Wright will unexpectedly be out of the office that day. I would like to reschedule you for January 24th at 12:30pm when he returns to the office.

Good Morning, this is Jessica Sipho from Dr. Wright’s office, may I speak with Mrs. Sheley Minton please? Hello Mrs. Minton, I am calling in regard to your appointment scheduled on January the 22nd. Dr. Wright will unexpectedly be out of the office that day. I would like to reschedule you for January 24th at 1pm when he returns to the office.

Good Morning, this is Jessica Sipho from Dr. Wright’s office, may I speak with Mr. Marcus Plan please? Hello Mr. Plan, I am calling in regard to your appointment scheduled on January the 22nd. Dr. Wright will unexpectedly be out of the office that day. I would like to reschedule you for January 24th at 1:30pm when he returns to the office.

20. cswalding says:

Hello Ms. Burke, this is Christine calling from Dr. Pierce’s office. Dr. Pierce will be away from the office during your originally scheduled appointment and will need to reschedule you. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our next available appointment is January 24th at 12:00 PM. Would this be convenient for you?

Hello Mr. Hardee, this is Christine calling from Dr. Pierce’s office. Dr. Pierce will be away from the office during your originally scheduled appointment and will need to reschedule you. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our next available appointment is January 24th at 12:00 PM. Would this be convenient for you?

Hello Mrs. Minton, this is Christine calling from Dr. Pierce’s office. Dr. Pierce will be away from the office during your originally scheduled appointment and will need to reschedule you. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our next available appointment is January 24th at 12:00 PM. Would this be convenient for you?

Hello Mr. Plan, this is Christine calling from Dr. Pierce’s office. Dr. Pierce will be away from the office during your originally scheduled appointment and will need to reschedule you. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our next available appointment is January 24th at 12:00 PM. Would this be convenient for you?

21. bjellanna says:

Hello Mrs. Burke, this is Barbara from Dr. Feelgood’s office. I need to reschedule your appointment for tomorrow because Dr. Feelgood’s has been unexpectantly called away from the office. Would it be possible to schedule you for Thursday, January 24th at 12:00?

Hello Mr. Hardee, this is Barbara from Dr. Feelgood’s office. I need to reschedule your appointment for tomorrow because Dr. Feelgood’s has been unexpectantly called away from the office. Would it be possible to schedule you for Thursday, January 24th at 1:00?
    Hello Ms. Minton, this is Barbara from Dr. Feelgood’s office. I need to reschedule your appointment for tomorrow because Dr. Feelgood’s has been unexpectantly called away from the office. Would it be possible to schedule you for Thursday, January 24th at 1:30?
    Hello Mrs. Plan, this is Barbara from Dr. Feelgood’s office. I need to reschedule your son’s sports physical appointment for tomorrow because Dr. Feelgood’s has been unexpectantly called away from the office. Would it be possible to schedule him for Thursday, January 24th at 2:00?

• bjellanna says:

Patient’s parent:
      My son doesn’t get out of school until 3:00. Do you have anything at 3:30?

Barbara:
      Yes, Mrs. Plan we do have an opening at 3:30. Should I put your son in for that time?

Patient’s Parent:
      Yes, please. That would be good.

Barbara:
      Ok, Mrs. Plan we have your son in for Thursday, January 24th at 3:30. Thank you for rescheduling and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

• Geneviene Mercado says:

1:30 will work for me thank you.

22. Geneviene Mercado says:

Good morning Mrs. Burke, this is Genny from Dr. Wrights office I was calling because Dr. Wright is going to be away from the office on a business trip January 22,2015. I realize that you have an appointment this day and I’m sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but I can reschedule you for the first available appointment January 24,2015 at 12:15pm. Would you be able to reschedule for this time and date?

• Linnea says:

This time is perfect as I typically take my lunch around noon, but I will be in a meeting the 24th. Is there any way I could get an appointment around noon on another day?

23. Linnea says:

Good morning, Mr. Smith, this is Linnea from Dr. Wright’s office. Unfortunately, I’m calling because Dr. Wright has been asked to speak at a conference and will be out of the office from January 22nd – January 24th, and I see that you have an appointment during that time. I do have several open appointments the following week, would January 28th at 1:30pm work?

24. Trish says:

Good morning Mr.Rogers, This is Angel from Dr.Browns office, i was calling to inform you that Dr.Brown has been called away and will be out if the office April 12th – April 29th. i noticed that you have an appointment on April the 19th at 10:30 am, i do in fact have an opening May 1st at 10:30 am, would May 1st at 10:30 am work for you?