Competency #4 – Managing Appointments

Your physician has been asked to speak at a national conference. Four patients will need to be rescheduled due to the physician’s unexpected absence from the office.

The assignment has three parts to create a conversation between staff (you) and patient (other students):

Part 1 – Write out the message you would say to the patient when you call him or her to reschedule.

Part 2 – Reply as a patient (to another student’s posting). Reply to at least two other student’s messages. Use different replies.

Part 3 – Reply to your patient’s reply and confirm the appoint.  Then reply as a patient to the other students posting your replyied to in Part 2.

Example:(don’t use my words)

Part 1. (you) Staff: Mrs. Jones (student), this is Dallas (your name) and I am calling from Dr Smith office and she has been called away from the office unexpectedly and will need to reschedule your appointment. Our next appointment available is May 25th at 2 p.m. Would that work for you or is there another date that would be convenient?

Part 2.(another students) Patient: 2 p.m. does not work for me do you have something earlier May 26th?

Part 3.(you)Staff: Yes, Mrs. Jones, we have a 9 a.m. open would that work?

(another student) Patient: Yes, that will work.

(you) Staff: Thank you Mrs. Jones, your appointment has been changed to May 26th at 9 a.m.