Competency #4 – Managing Appointments

Your physician has been asked to speak at a national conference. Four patients will need to be rescheduled due to the physician’s unexpected absence from the office.

The assignment has three parts to create a conversation between staff (you) and patient (other students):

Part 1 – Write out the message you would say to the patient when you call him or her to reschedule.

Part 2 – Reply as a patient (to another student’s posting). Reply to at least two other student’s messages. Use different replies.

Part 3 – Reply to your patient’s reply and confirm the appoint.  Then reply as a patient to the other students posting your replyied to in Part 2.

Example:(don’t use my words)

Part 1. (you) Staff: Mrs. Jones (student), this is Dallas (your name) and I am calling from Dr Smith office and she has been called away from the office unexpectedly and will need to reschedule your appointment. Our next appointment available is May 25th at 2 p.m. Would that work for you or is there another date that would be convenient?

Part 2.(another students) Patient: 2 p.m. does not work for me do you have something earlier May 26th?

Part 3.(you)Staff: Yes, Mrs. Jones, we have a 9 a.m. open would that work?

(another student) Patient: Yes, that will work.

(you) Staff: Thank you Mrs. Jones, your appointment has been changed to May 26th at 9 a.m.

41 Responses to Competency #4 – Managing Appointments

1. Charlotte Bender says:

Miss Durham, this is Charlotte Bender from Dr. Smith’s office – she has been called away from the office and will not return for another week. We would like to reschedule your appointment. The first available appointment is on the 7th of November at 9:00 am. Are you available at this time?

2. anmacey says:

Good Morning Ms. Burke, this is Alicia Macey from Dr. Smith’s office. I am calling because Dr. Smith is experiencing an unexpected absence so I am calling to reschedule your appointment. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but I do have his first available appointment for you on November 20, at 8:30 am if that would work for you?

3. Megan Hockin says:

Good Morning Mrs. Fetzer, this is Megan with Dr. Smith’s office. Dr. Smith has been called away on an unexpected conference. I would be more than happy to reschedule your appointment. How does this Friday the 22nd at 2:00 PM work for you? If this date does not work I can see the earliest available appointment next week.

• anmacey says:

Megan, Friday the 22nd at 2:00 PM will be fine. I have just enough time to come in before I need to pick up my kids from school. Thank you for the call.

• klinda says:

Perfect, thank you for calling to confirm and I apologize for the last minute change, but I’m glad the date and time worked out for your schedule. I have confirmed your appointment for Friday the 22nd at 2:00 PM, see you then, have a great day.

4. anmacey says:

Good morning Mr. Hardee this Alicia Macey from Dr. Smith’s office. I am calling to let you know that Dr. Smith will be out of the office on the day your next appointment is scheduled for. Can I reschedule that appointment for you?

5. anmacey says:

Hello Miss Minton this is Alicia Macey from Dr. Smith’s office. Dr. Smith has discovered that he will be out of the office on the day we have you scheduled to come in. I am very sorry if this causes any problems but If you would like I can give you our next available appointment. That appointment is next Friday the 29th at 9:00 AM. Would that work for you?

6. anmacey says:

Mr. Plan this is Alicia Macey from Dr. Smith’s office. I apologize for calling last minute but Dr. Smith will not be in the office this week. Can I go ahead and reschedule you for our next earliest appointment with Dr. Smith? Our next appointment with Dr. Smith is Monday, December 2nd at 8:00 AM.

7. aptwyman says:

Hello Mr. Plan this is Abigail from Dr. Smiths office. I am calling to see if we can reschedule your appointment on January 22nd. Dr. Smith will be out of the office and unavailable that day. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this causes you. Can we reschedule for January 24th at 12:00 pm that is our next earliest appointment sir.

8. hlgustafson says:

Hello Mrs. Lee, this is Hannah Gustafson calling from Dr. Smith’s office. I’m calling to inform that we need to change your appointment, due to the doctor being called away. Our next available appointment is December 12th at 11am. Does that sound like it would work for you?

• hlgustafson says:

Hello Mrs. Minton, this is Hannah Gustafson calling from Dr. Smith’s office. I’m calling to inform that we need to change your appointment, due to the doctor being called away. Our next available appointment is December 12th at 11am. Does that sound like it would work for you?

9. hlgustafson says:

I’m sorry for the upper confusion.^

Hello Mrs. Minton, this is Hannah Gustafson calling from Dr. Smith’s office. I’m calling to inform that we need to change your appointment, due to the doctor being called away. Our next available appointment is December 24th at 12:30 pm. Does that sound like it would work for you?

• easheppard says:

That date is Christmas eve, but I don’t have anything else planned other then eating some left over turkey. So yes please schedule me for that date and time.

10. easheppard says:

Hello Mr. Plan this is Elizabeth, From Doctor Smiths office, I am calling to let you know that I need to reschedule you for your appointment. Unfortunate the doctor will be out of office that day, but I have another date that I can offer you that the doctor will see you on. The next available appointment is on 24 Jan 2013 at 1:45 PM. Please let me know if this appointment works for you and if would like me to schedule in this time slot?

• klinda says:

Hi Elizabeth, thank you so much for calling to notify me of the change, I had actually forgotten about my appointment, and the 24th of January will actually work a lot better for me. Thanks again and I’ll see you then.

11. hhelton2 says:

Hello Mr. Plan this is Heather from Dr. Smiths office. I was calling to reschedule your appointment for December 22 at noon. The doctor will be out of the office that week, but I can offer you an appointment for December 30th at 8:30 AM. Please let me know if this will work for you. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day.

12. ella says:

Good morning Mr. Wheeler. This is Ella from Dr. Sheperd’s office. I just called to inform you sir that Dr. Wheeler will be out of the office on the day of your appointment December 20 at 9:00 o’clock in the morning. I apologize for the inconvient sir, but I can reschedule you on the next day December 21 at the same time. Please inform me if this day will work for you. Thank you sir and you have a wonderful day.

13. klinda says:

Good morning Mr. Plan, this is Kaylene with Dr. Wiley’s office at Northwestern Family Health. I was calling to notify you that Dr. Wiley has been asked to attend a last minute conference out of town and we have to reschedule your follow up appointment with him. I’d like to reschedule as soon as possible so that there isn’t further delay on your follow up with Dr. Wiley. Our first available opening is December 5th at 1:30 pm, please give me a call back at 555-555-5555 as soon as possible to let me know whether this is a convenient time that will work for you. I apologize for the last minute notice and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you and have a great day.

14. pwilliams8 says:

Very well then Mr. Plan your appointment has been confirmed for December 5, at 1:30 pm. please remember to arrive about 15 minutes early to allow for documentation.Thank You, have a nice day, and we will see you Dec. 5th at 1:30 pm.